Sunday, April 01, 2007

Soot Bull Jeep and The Prince

Since I began working in Koreatown nine months ago, I've been steadily increasing my Korean food knowledge, but had managed to skip the BBQ--a protein-packed, grill-it-youself feast never seems like a good lunch option. For a carnivore like myself, however, I couldn't stay away forever, and J and I spent Friday night with a plate of well-marinated, thinly sliced steak and a charcoal grill at Soot Bull Jeep. Coupled with a big ol' bottle of Hite, we were in heaven.

Our evening was made all the more enjoyable by the fact that we started the night a few blocks away at The Prince. This British-themed Korean pub, in the basement of an old stately building from the Ambassador Hotel era, is strange yet delightful. Though the curvy red banquets looked cozy, J and I sat at the horseshoe shaped bar, alternately watching the Clippers on TV and the perky young bartendresses flirt and share tequila shots with the silver fox to our right. Our bottles of Hite and OB (Oriental Beer) were accompanied by free chips and salsa that belied that fact that Eddie from Deep End Dining indulged in live octopus tentacles at this same spot.

After a couple beers here, we left our valet-parked car (only $2!!) and walked to Soot Bull Jeep. The smokiness of charcoal can be overwhelming at times, but repeating my childhood campfire smoke-deflecting mantra (I hate white rabbits! I hate white rabbits! I hate white rabbits!) and/or moving my chair around the table seemed to help. Fellow foodblogger Colleen Cuisine has a detailed write up on how to eat the meat here and includes helpful tips to mitigate the smoky effects.

Soot Bull Jeep
3136 W 8th St
Los Angeles, CA 90005
213.387.3865

The Prince
3198 W Seventh St
Los Angeles, CA 90005
213.389.2007

Soot Bull Jeep photo by madmojo and Hite photo by jfer

4 comments:

Allison said...

mmm, i love soot bull jeep. the short ribs are my favorite although my boyfriend loves the eel.

marlborocountry said...

I like ribs too. More juicy than real meat. I like juicy.

Gyles said...

Oh my god, there's so much helpful info here!
Brampton homes

Anonymous said...

The dude is totally right, and there is no suspicion.
superb 7 | nice 2 | look 2 superb 1 | check 5 | nice check superb 5 | you may 4