Sunday, April 15, 2007

LA Favorites #4: David Lentz of the Hungry Cat

Erin's Kitchen is leaving LA! Before I go, I'm asking Angelenos to share their favorite food spots--east to west, high
to low. Want to share your favorites? Email me: erinskitchen [at] gmail [dot] com.

LA Favorites #4: David Lentz, chef at my favorite LA restaurant, The Hungry Cat

How long have you lived in LA?
I have lived in LA for 7 years.

What neighborhood do you call home? Laurel Canyon

Quick--a favorite LA food memory. What's the first one that comes to mind? That would have to be the farmers' markets...and how we base what we do around them...also the fact that we work w/ the farmers directly...the farmer benefit we did a few months ago was great...there was a huge outpouring and it was great to be a part of it and really help those guys out.

What food or drink does LA do best? And where can I find it? Ethnic food is great, moreso asian...but also true California cuisine...I'm biased, but Lucques is the place to go for someone that is visiting from out of town...it's totally based on what's in season.

Top three spots (restaurants, taco stands, stores, bars, etc) I should visit before I leave LA? What should I order? Hatfield's, Pace and Urasawa...Hatfield's--the food is great; Pace--the vibe is great and the food is good (real Laurel Canyon experience) and Urasawa--probably top 2 in the country as far as Japanese food goes (pricey though).

4 comments:

Rachael Narins said...

Seriously girl, how do you do this? Im so into it! V. Cool. And I agree with all of David's suggestions, Pace is one of my favorites...

Acme Instant Food said...

Hi Erin. Sorry to hear that you are leaving L.A.! Recently, Pace keeps coming across my radar (I've never been) but it seems that I'm destined to try it soon. Good luck in graduate school and enjoy New York (lucky girl!).

Erin S. said...

rachael--email, my dear, email. I'll I've done is email these folks--honestly!

Acme--Thanks for the kind words--NYC dining on a grad school budget--whohoo!

Anne said...

Hey Erin,

Wow, I just read all the way back to see why you are leaving Los Angeles- boo!! I never got the chance to meet you:(. Best of luck in NY, and please keep us posted on the million good eats out East.