Sunday, April 29, 2007

Learning to Like Campari


My first sip of Campari was nearly my last. Vaguely recalling a Travel Channel show about Italy where the host lauded this herbal aperitivo, I ordered a glass at a bar, straight up. Blech. It was bitter beyond belief.

Thanks to my boss, however, I've been reintroduced to this Italian beverage in the form of a delectable cocktail featuring grapefruit and prosecco. J and I made a batch of Rainwaters (named after the boss, of course) this evening, a bracing coda to the first hot, sunny weekend of the spring.

The Rainwater

1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
a little less than 1/4 cup Campari
ice cubes
1 cup prosecco
2 lime wedges

In a cocktail shaker, shake, shake, shake the grapefruit juice, campari and ice cubes. Strain into two glasses. Split the prosecco equally between the glasses. Squeeze in your lime wedge, stir, and enjoy.

Prosecco photo by Ms. Tea, grapefruit photo by x-eyed blonde, and lime photo by darwinbell.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've never tried that liqueur. If I drink anything straight up its usually a nice scotch - in keeping with my old man ways.

Erin S. said...

Doug--my husband's a straight-up scotch guy, I do mine on the rocks. Also, re: Seven Grand, they have tons of scotches as well, so I think you'd be happy there!

Connie said...

hm, yeah, trying out new alcohols requires a guide... i'm always so hesitant to try new things at the bar- but this looks good and refreshing. i'll keep it in mind

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this! I love prosecco!

Everard said...

It will not succeed as a matter of fact, that is what I consider.
play games

Anonymous said...

Goodness, there's so much effective information here!
this 9 | do not forget here | also 1 also 9 | nice 5 | look 9 check check | check 2