Thursday, April 05, 2007

LA Favorites #1: Evan Kleiman of Angeli Caffe

Erin's Kitchen is leaving LA! Before I go, I'm asking Angelenos to share their favorite food spots--east to west, high to low. Want to share your favorites? Email me: erinskitchen [at] gmail [dot] com

LA Favorites #1: Evan Kleiman, owner of Angeli Caffe and host of KCRW's Good Food

How long have you lived in LA?
All my life. I was born in Pico Rivera and grew up in Silverlake.

What neighborhood do you call home?
Now I live in mid-city near Olympic and La Brea

Quick--a favorite LA food memory. What's the first one that comes to mind?
Going to Thrifty Drug Store at Vermont and Hollywood for Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches and Mashed Potatoes when I was a kid. Also Casa de Ybarra which used to be on Sunset in Echo Park. Yummy Mexican food.

What food or drink does LA do best? And where can I find it?
Best taco trucks and best high end cocktails.

Top three spots (restaurants, taco stands, stores, bars, etc) I should visit before I leave LA? What should I order?

-The taco truck that appears after 7pm at the southwest corner of Olympic and La Brea.
-Eat at the bar at Lucques and have a Cucumber Martini.
-Go to Surfas Gourmet Food and Restaurant Supply before the eminent domain kicks in and we no longer have it to depend on.

palm tree photo by Eric Richardson; Evan Kleiman photo from KCRW


3 comments:

Aubrey said...

You just got here. So sad to see you go.

Alice Q. Foodie said...

Very cool - sad to see you leaving So Cal, but excited for you in NYC! So many adventures, so little time...

Osborne said...

Really useful material, lots of thanks for your post.
here | cast love spell free | link