Thursday, April 12, 2007

Soup Swap and Lemon Cake

Not the soups we swapped, but who doesn't love pictures of soup?

How lovely after a long weekend of traveling to come home to a freezer full of four different homemade soups, just waiting for me to gobble them up. A few weekends ago I hosted a soup swap--each guest brings multiple containers of homemade soup and y'all exchange. Standing in the kitchen Tuesday night, it was hard to decide--Jill's carrot and red pepper? Kelly's split pea? Maybe Emily's Venetian bean and pasta? Or my everything-but-the-kitchen-sink minestrone?

Read about other soup swaps here and here.

It seemed silly to just swap soups and leave, so I also whipped up some tea and snacks. My favorite was the upside-down lemon cake -- a recipe from the LA Times that TunaToast brought to my attention (visit her site for a picture). The thinly sliced lemons carmelize wonderfully in the brown sugar-butter mix spread over the bottom of the pan. The cake part is light and flecked with vanilla bean and allows the lemons to shine.

Soup pictures, L-R, top to bottom: Lin Pernille, Virtual Erm, Virtual Erm, Nate Steiner, Atari, Gracinha & Marco, Rubyran, metalcowboy, Virtual Erm, Giovanni JL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'd love to post about your soup swap at Soupswap.com and add you to our mailing list in hopes that you join us next year for National Soup Swap Day on January 23, 2008.

If you can drop me a note at knox at hot mail dot com, I'd be glad to chat with you about it!

Thanks and Swap On!