Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sweet Frites


When I first sliced open my sweet potatos last night, I was surprised to find white flesh. A little googling informed me that, no, I hadn't discovered a new species, but sweet potato insides vary in color from white to yellow to orange.

Sweet potato fries have become ubiquitous at restaurants around town, and I'm happy to indulge the trend--they're delicious and full of healthy anti-oxidants. However, I can't pretend that these restaurants don't deep fry them, so for real health benefits, I've begun making them at home.

Sweet Potato Fries

Turn your oven up to 375.

Peel as many sweet potatos as you'd like. Cut them into thin slices, as uniformly as possible. Toss slices with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally and check doneness by poking with a fork.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with the herb or spice mix of your choice. I used a mix of garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh oregano and fresh thyme. I also like them with cinnamon, cardamom, cumin and allspice.

1 comment:

Thaddeus said...

Gosh, there is a lot of useful material here!
at this shop | at this shop | at this shop