Sunday, January 15, 2006

Thrice Roasted Lemon-Garlic Chicken


No, roasting your chicken three times isn't some new-fangled technique. Instead, it's what happens when despite your thermometer reading, from deep within the thigh as instructed, the roast chicken still has some bloody bits coursing through the white meat. Grrrr...it went back to the oven not once but twice. I have two theories: one, the chicken was frozen and I thought it was thawed completely before I cooked it, but perhaps not?? Second, do the spots of blood mean it wasn't cleaned completely before packaged and sold? It did have a more-than-usual smattering of feathers still attached as well.

Anyway, despite the frustrations, the final result was flavorful and moist. I had rubbed the entire thing (under the skin) with a mix of chopped rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper. I let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours, then sat on the counter for about 1/2 hour before putting it in the 400 degree oven, in a roasting pan with carrots and turnips. I also filled the cavity with sliced lemons, rosemary sprigs, and shallot chunks. The chicken juices were divine, and the roast veggies picked up the lemon/garlic/rosemary flavors (almost too much--the turnips were very lemony).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I remember hearing the bloody bits come as a result of freezing. I think this may be the bone marrow you are seeing. I've never had any of those bits when cooking fresh birds that haven't been frozen.

Darlaing said...

oh your photo looks mouth-watering!!