Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bluebird Bakery


I stopped at this Culver City spot a month ago for cupcakes only, and wasn't very impressed. The outdoor patio, though, plus a hankering for someplace new brought me back for lunch. The short menu includes your typical cold sandwiches, paninis and salads--all at a comparable (if not a bit higher) price point to the nearby Cafe Surfas, but with lower quality ingredients and much less creativity.

I went for the soup (mushroom) , 1/2 sandwich (tomato, basil and mozzarella) and green salad combo for $9. As you can see, the sandwich was large--1/2 of what, exactly? Good cheese, ripe tomatos and ridiculous gigantic basil leaves that tasted so licoricy that I removed them. The soup, not too creamy, had a pronounced wild mushroom flavor--I should have asked what mushrooms were used. The salad, unfortunately, was flavorless--strangely, the tomatos on it were from a totally different planet than those in the sandwich.

Since our office is moving to Koreatown soon (yay!), I will likely never return to Bluebird and that's perfectly okay with me.

Bluebird Bakery
8572 National Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 841-0939

Erin's Kitchen Restaurant Index: West-ish

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the funniest post I've read in weeks. Here's to Koreatown (eat some spareribs for me)!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't turn out well, Erin! But the picture is great!

e d b m said...

Erin, I've had their breakfast and it tastes good to me. I'll be sure to avoid the dishes you had. Have you tried Doughboy's on Third/Fairfax?

Anonymous said...

I love love love Bluebird. The sandwiches and salads are great and totally reasonable.