Friday, April 28, 2006

Lemony Angel Roll

J loves anything lemon almost as much as he loves angel food cake, so I decided to treat him (and me!) to this dessert last weekend. Other than indulgence, it was a way to use up some about- to-expire eggs and an I-don't-know-how-we-ended-up-
with-so-many pile of lemons.

The Joy of Cooking has become my go-to basic baking book--it is very particular, but its recommendations have not failed me yet. For example, for the angel food sheet cake, it instructed me to first sift my flour, then sift the sugar, flour and salt together not once, not twice, but three times. I was able to overcome my lazy gene and followed the rules, and was rewarded with an extremely light cake. Conversely, when I ignored the instructions--I had no parchment paper so I just greased the pan instead of lining it--I paid the price with a cake that was difficult to remove and cracked in places.

The filling is a simple lemon curd, and I served it with strawberries and cream, and our slices were gone in about 5.3 seconds.

Erin's Kitchen Index: Cookies, Cakes, Breads and other treats

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!

I stumbled across your blog and I'm really enjoying your wry sense of humor.

Re this lemon angel cake, did you make the lemon curd yourself? Is the recipe also from the Joy of Cooking? My Dad and I are HUGE lemon fans and your cake made me want to try making one of my own.

Kathy S.

Erin S. said...

Hi Kathy--

Thanks for your comments! I did make the curd myself and used the Joy of Cooking recipe. It's super-easy as long as you go slow over low heat. And be sure to whisk the eggs well together ahead of time before putting them on the heat (I learned that the hard way as my first attempt curdled).