Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Four Times the Excitement

LA Ritz tagged me for the fours meme, while long ago A Curious Mix tagged me for the five cooking challenges meme. Let me try to combine them.

Four Jobs I've Had in My Life:

1. Weekend night shift factory worker (6 pm to 6 am, baby)
2. Waitress at the college club, aka my professors' hangout
3. Deputy Field Director, congressional campaign
4. Capitol Hill staffer

Four Places I’ve Lived other than L.A. (with food memories from each)

1. Holmen, WI (hometown): cheese curds, dad's pancakes Saturday mornings, more recently, wedding-planning lunches at The Blue Cup
2. Northampton, MA: Friday afternoon tea at Smith, late night chili cheese fries at Packards, warm mixed nuts at the Tunnel Bar
3. Zimbabwe: sadza (staple food, a heavy cornmeal mush), bread cooked overnight in the coals of the fire, fried eggs on toast
4. Washington, DC: breakfast at Eastern Market, discovering moules frites at Bistro du Coin, platanos at Haydees

Four Places I Have Been on Vacation:

1. Islands of Sea of Cortez, Mexico (kayaking)
2. Kings Canyon National Park, CA
3. Puerta Vallarta, Mexico
4. France, Germany, Italy

Four Websites I Visit Daily:

1. The Note
2. NYT
3. Go Fug Yourself
4. Dooce

Four of My Favorite Foods:

1. cheese in all shapes and sizes
2. potatos in all shapes and sizes
3. sesame balls
4. duck

Four food challenges for the year:

1. Conquering crust
2. Making my own sausage
3. Making my own ricotta
4. Learn history as I learn recipes

Four Places I Would Rather Be Right Now:

1. Roatan, Honduras (2 more days!)
2. With my sister in Milwaukee
3. Washington Sqaure Park, NYC (preferably this past weekend with all the snow)
4. Honestly, life here in LA is pretty good these days

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Northampton, huh? We're thinking of moving there .....

Anonymous said...

I too love sesame balls and cheese curds! Are there any good places to get Wisconsin-quality cheese curds in LA? And have you found a place that sells sesame balls?

Erin S. said...

Rorie--Northampton and surrounding environs are lovely--I truly enjoyed my time there. Also, you are a short train ride away from both Boston and NY, and a short drive from the gorgeous Berkshires and VT/ME. I have a feeling as an adult the community could feel somewhat insular, but perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Foodie Universe--Unfortunately, I don't have good answers to either of your questions. I often bring cheese curds back from WI when I go home at the holidays, and as for sesame balls, I only eat them when I go out for dim sum.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, really worthwhile info.
do not forget check | you may 2 | check here check 6 | superb 5 | nice site check 8 | do not forget 1