Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Make it Myself: Granola with Hazelnuts and Dried Blueberries


In high school, a close friend of mine was a 4H champion seamstress. Every time we went shopping, she couldn't resist: Why would I buy this when I could make it myself? Oh my god, this is so expensive, I could make it myself. The seams are crap, I could make this myself. It drove me crazy, and made me feel much guiltier (and more pathetic) for coveting that dress at Maurices.

Now, she is me. At least when it comes to food. Sunday, Trader Joe's: J throws a bag of granola in the cart. Me: Don't buy that sugary stuff, I can make it myself! Of course, just because I claim I can make it, doesn't mean it always happens. This weekend it did, however, and we've been enjoying bowls of granola with fresh berries in the morning. Of course, the dried blueberries in the actual granola, and the rasps and blacks on top make this breakfast a perfect candidate for Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday challenge. I made it myself!

Granola with Hazelnuts and Dried Blueberries

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup hazelnuts, crushed (I put 'em in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to smash)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey and/or maple syrup (I use a mix, depending on what I have on hand)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 c. dried blueberries

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 300°F. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Combine oil, honey/syrup in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well. Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.
Spread granola on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely. Mix in blueberries, and store in an airtight container.

Erin's Kitchen Index: Cookies, Cakes, Breads and Other Treats

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make granola myself too...thanks for the recipe!

Ashwini said...

Hi Erin, first time on your blog (thru Sweetnicks'). I know the granola from the supermarket is not great but didnt know how to make it at home so just kept buying and eating the damn stuff. Not anymore. I am going to try this and let you know how it goes.

Nigel said...

On my part Please check http://airclimber.luvlyhome.com as it's the site having extremely fine subjects to deliver.This is really nice info.
| |