Monday, June 16, 2008

Open-Faced Asparagus Spring Onion Sandwich

Open Faced Asparagus Sandwich

I tried to stay local through the winter, stopping at the Morningside Heights farmers' market on Thursday afternoons, but a girl can only eat so many apples. The pickings were slim December through March, and I rarely had the time to trek down to the larger New York market at Union Square.

Foggy Bottom Farmers' Market Bounty

I have no excuses now--summer's bounty has begun, and on Wednesday nights the Foggy Bottom market in DC is right in front of the Metro station I use to get home. The market is small, but covers all the bases. A couple veggie stands, a dairy/egg stand, a pork and beef guy, plus a bread gal. Last week in less than 10 minutes, I pulled together the ingredients for a full meal at the market, forcing my seatmates on the Metro to bathe in the smell of my fresh garlic the whole way home.

Open Faced Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich

Last week I caught the last of the asparagus, fat, crisp tips perfect for roasting. I drizzled them with olive oil and garlic, and tucked them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. As they cooked, I sauteed some sweet, purple spring onions and some baby summer squash. I toasted some walnut-whole wheat-cumin bread, spread it with fresh goat cheese, topped it with the onions and squash, then the tender asparagus spears. I finished the whole open faced delight with one non-local ingredient--lemon juice. Even in summer, the Mid-Atlantic can't quite catch up with California's riches.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin,
I can just imagine that this tastes as good as it looks. So pretty! Seems like you're enjoying D.C. so far. Thanks for the yummy eye candy!

Susan C said...

I cannot believe how much I am craving a sandwich just like this. I've never seen onions like that before. I'll have to look for them at the So Cal farmers markets.

Erin S. said...

Erinn--Yes, DC is good, especially now that it's cooled off a tad.

Susan--I think they were scallions/green onions that had been allowed to get big. They're wonderfully sweet. I bet you can find some!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, I'm going to try it;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks so amazing! I am missing asparagus already after seeing that picture. And the spring onions- I am addicted to those right now.

Greg and Sarah Strong said...

Hey Erin -
just found your blog, and I've gotta say, I'm glad to be rid of the Morningside Heights blogging competition for the summer.
No, just kidding, I'll be gone too, but I was very pleased to see another Morningside Heights-er cookin' it up. Are you still gonna be up this way come fall?
BTW, the Greatest Sandwich Of All Time was procured at Eastern Market before the big fire. Fried oysters and divine inspiration. Although, I haven't checked around the blog enough yet - are you a vegetarian?

Erin S. said...

Greg and Sarah--Yes, back in Morningside heights in the fall for my 2nd year of grad school. Just hit up Eastern Market yesterday morning for the brick--the best breakfast sandwich ever!! They have a whole new structure built across the street while the city repairs the old building. And no, I'm definitely NOT a vegetarian :)

Meg Blocker said...

Now THAT'S a sandwich.