Friday, August 31, 2007

Surviving with a Sandwich

In case y'all were wondering, this grad school thing? It's kicking my butt, and classes haven't even started yet. The fanciest item out of my frying pan since we moved to NY? A gussied up grilled cheese.

Pressed Sandwich with Bell Peppers
Damn though--a sammie can satisfy, and the ingredients, not hard work, make a good one great. I piled a crusty roll with thinly sliced garlicky salami, a schmear of goat cheese on one side, blue cheese on the other, a smidge of honey mustard and a tangle of sauteed bell peppers and shallots. Then I buttered the outside of the roll, placed it in saute pan over medium heat, then pressed down on the sandwich with my cast iron skillet. After a few minutes, I flipped the sandwich, pressed down again, and thoroughly enjoyed my gooey, toasty mess.

3 comments:

Connie said...

hey, i hear ya. don't worry, it gets easier

Erin S. said...

Thanks Connie...good to hear it!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

I dream of grad school one day, and you're my inspiration! That sandwich sounds wickedly delicious too! :)