Monday, September 03, 2007

Taqueria y Fonda--Morningside Heights

Taqueria y Fonda, Morningside Heights, NYC
On a quest for a taste of LA, J and I descended on Taqueria y Fonda Saturday afternoon. This Mexican dive serves your standard burritos, tacos, enchiladas and tortas (Mexican sandwiches) for student-friendly prices. Though a taco costs a whopping (by LA standards) $3, the huge burritos clock in around $7 and my big-enough-for-two chicken torta was $6.25.

The salsas that came with our free chips were the standout of our meal--two green and spicy, one red and smoky--but they deserved better, saltier chips. J's cesina (dry beef marinated in lemon and herbs) burrito could have fed a small army, and my torta, smeared with refried beans, and stacked with onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, cheese, and charred, juicy chicken (but not the promised avocado) was similarly large. Both were tasty enough that we'll return to sample other menu items, but if we didn't live nearby I doubt we'd make a special trip to visit.

The seating's cramped, but the service and fellow patrons (a mix of Columbia students and Mexican families) are friendly. Unlike most LA taco stands, beer is available, as is delivery (and take out). The specials ("authentic regional dishes from southwestern Mexico" according to the menu) cost between $10.25-$10.95 and include chicken with pumpkin seed sauce, mole rojo (red mole), mole verde (green mole), and one of my favorites, chile en nogada (stuffed peppers with pork, raisins and bananas in a creamy sauce.

Taqueria Y Fonda
968 Amsterdam Ave (between 107th and 108th)
New York, NY 10025
212-531-0383 or 212-531-0325
delivery from 86th St to 122nd St


Taqueria Y Fonda la Mexicana in New York

10 comments:

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

When I lived up in Morningside Heights, I ate at Taqueria y Fonda often. If you're into pipian, theirs (from what I recall) is excellent. Have y'all been out to the Red Hook Ball Fields yet? Or that taco truck at 96th street?

Best Burgers in Gurgaon said...

Thanks for you excellent blog. So useful and practical for me. Thanks so much for sharing
So useful and practical for me. Thanks for you excellent blog, nice work keep it up thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Best Cold Coffee in gurgaon said...

I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website.

pav bhaji online order noida said...

This is very useful article. we are giving the repair service.By the way, Thank you for sharing with us, and we sincerely hope you will continue to update or post other articles

reiki training in india said...

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign.

karmic reiki services said...

By the way, Thank you for sharing with us, and we sincerely hope you will continue to update or post other articles

Healing World said...

I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website.
mindfulness meditation in india

astrologer in Delhi said...

I like the dear information you offer to your articles. I will be able to bookmark your blog and feature my kids take a look at up right here generally. I'm fairly sure they'll be informed lots of new stuff right here than anybody else!

vedic astrology consultation said...

Well this is extremely fascinating indeed. Would like to read just a little more of this. Excellent post. Thanks for the heads-up...This blog was really insightful and knowledgeable.

Name Correction by Numerology said...

Thanks for you excellent blog. So useful and practical for me. Thanks so much for sharing
So useful and practical for me. Thanks for you excellent blog, nice work keep it up thanks for sharing the knowledge.