Saturday, May 06, 2006

Favorite Things Saturday: The Cook's Library


The Cook's Library, combines my two favorite things, food and books, perfect for Jill's Favorite Things Saturday. The smallish, cozy yet well-stocked shop resides at 8373 W. 3rd St in Los Angeles, between La Cienega and Fairfax, and its complimentary bookmarks read: "A bookstore dedicated to the professional as well as amateur food lover and cook." The salespeople are knowledgable and friendly, willing to order any book not currently stacked on their shelves. On Friday night, I arrived just minutes before closing and the clerk graciously welcomed me, as though I had all the time in the world. I was looking for The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and though I'm sure I could have found it on Amazon, it wouldn't have been as much fun.

As a side note, if you're interested in seeing Michael Pollan discuss this book--which hones in on a seemingly simple but of course endlessly complicated question: "What should we eat?"--you can join me at the downtown Los Angeles Public Library on May 10, 2006, 7 p.m. You can read more and make reservations here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Cook's Library too - such a great idea for a bookshop. And the Michael Pollan talk sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Went to see MP last night at the Library. Wasn't it fantastic. He was really funny and I loved the way he doles out information and opinion. Laurie Winer was also a great moderator...I will have to watch more closely for her articles in the LA Times.

Erin S. said...

hey petra--I was there too. The Iowa farmboy that asked a question was none other than my husband. I agree on Mr. Pollan--his humor and intellect are quite impressive. I am enjoying the book immensely!

Anonymous said...

Erin
So I am now understanding what eating local is about and try I will. Something that was not discussed on Wed night was where to buy local dairy. .... where are you going for your milk, butter etc?