Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Faux Fall

I've got apple cider in the fridge, cans of pumpkin the pantry, and have begun eyeing gourds at the farmers' market. Yet try as I might, fall's just not fall here in LaLa Land. The air may be cool in the morning, but it's not crisp, and colored leaves are few and far between. Since a trip east isn't in the cards anytime soon, I'll have to live vicariously through some midwestern foodbloggers.

This idea for this braised pork tenderloin sprang from my seasonal cravings, and incorporates my favorite fall spices. Be sure to let the cider cook down a bit after your remove the pork and pears--it becomes almost glaze-like and concentrates the flavor.

Braised, Fall-Spiced Pork Loin with Pears


Basically, I followed this recipe from Martha Stewart, but made some substitions and subtractions.

First, I left the pork loin rub on much longer than the 1/2 hour she recommends. Obviously, if you do this, put it in the fridge.

Second, I substituted apple cider for the white wine, and didn't include the carrots. To the cider I added a couple star anise, whole all-spice berries, and a cinnamon stick.

Finally, as mentioned earlier, when the pork was finished I removed it and the pears to a platter and let the sauce cook for a bit. I did not strain it (me = lazy) but instead just spooned it over the pork and pears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum...that sounds wonderful, and it is a gorgeous Fall day here in MN. The sky is deep azure blue which makes the colors just leap out in contrast. Just lovely!

Thanks for the link~