Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kicking Off Summer with Celebration

Vanilla Cupcakes with Lime Curd and Cream Cheese Frosting

I spent the long weekend in Wisconsin with my family, celebrating my little sister's upcoming nuptials. She's getting hitched to a lovely boy at the end of July, then they're packing their bags for Honduras, where they'll teach for two years. To preview their Central American adventure, my Mom and I threw my sister a "tropical" bridal shower on Saturday.

Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Lime Curd inside

While I doubt she'll find many cupcakes in San Pedro Sula, I figured a lime curd filling was tropical enough to include these beauties for dessert. The recipe for these lime curd stuffed cupcakes with cream cheese frosting comes from the inimitable Cupcake Bakeshop, though the lime wedge decorations were my sister's inspiration. While we sent most of the leftovers away with our guests, we saved a few for breakfast the next day.

Black Bean and Banana Empanadas

For a savory and sweet treat, I also made these banana and black bean empanadas. These are simple thanks to the use of puff pastry. Nearly any filling could work--next time I may try sweet corn. You can make them ahead--place on a cookie sheet, cover with tinfoil, and store in the fridge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such an awesome weekend!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What yummy looking food!

Osborn said...

Gosh, there's a great deal of helpful data in this post!
faucets reviews blog | new android apps | ladies skin care

Benjamin said...

Gosh, there is a great deal of worthwhile material above!
pet stores Toronto | leopard pumps | crotchless pantyhose